Video: The parents of a 15-year-old boy who was charged with assault in the shooting death of his stepfather have spoken of the devastating effect the shooting had on their family.
Arnaud and Mireille Mirelle were arrested on July 1 after they were caught on surveillance video kicking and punching their 14-year old stepfather in the head outside their house.
The couple’s lawyer says they had no idea their son was involved in the incident and he said they were not aware of the video until after the arrest.
“They never even thought that he had a gun, they never even imagined that he was going to be in the video,” Mr Mirelles lawyer, Bernard Caine, told The Irish Times.
The parents said they had not seen the video before, but knew of the incident from the police.
“I don’t think they really expected that to happen, but the moment they were arrested, I thought ‘Oh my god’,” Mr Mulele said.
“When I saw the video, I was in shock.
I thought he had killed him.”
Mr Caine said they did not know the boy was in the room when the incident took place, and had not been aware of his relationship to his stepson.
“It is devastating,” he said.
Mr Muleles lawyer said the family had been in contact with the boy’s father and his mother, and that they had taken their son to a police station on July 12.
“The boy is very distraught, he’s very upset,” Mr Caine told the paper.
“He’s not a normal kid, he doesn’t have any friends.
He’s very isolated.”
Mr Mirele said he had tried to contact the boy on several occasions since the incident, but had not heard back.
The boy’s stepfather was taken to hospital, but later died.
Arson chargesArnauds and Mereille Mulelez were charged with manslaughter and aggravated assault, and Mr Caille said they would be remanded in custody.
Mr Cailles lawyer has said that while the boy is not a violent person, his behaviour is “unbecoming” and has caused him great distress.
“We believe this is a very tragic incident, the fact that it was an act of terror on his part, we think that it is in line with the nature of what we call domestic violence,” he told the newspaper.
“There are people who think that they have to protect their family, but what they are doing is hurting their family.”
The boy was discharged from hospital on July 18.
The family has also been ordered to pay the costs of their lawyer, and they will face the court again next month.
Topics:law-crime-and-justice,family-and/or-children,courts-and+courts,crime,community-and_society,crime-prevention,crime_and_courts-,australia,canberra-2600,act,austriaMore stories from Northern Ireland